Effective Date: 11th December, 2012
- What Personally Identifiable Information do we collect and store?
- What other information is collected and stored?
- Information about you received from third parties
- What happens to the information provided/collected?
- Passing your personal information to third parties
- Safeguarding your Personally Identifiable Information
- Jagex's privacy practices in relation to children and the safeguarding of children's Personally Identifiable Information
- Review, correction and deletion of information from our records
- Data Protection Policy
"Jagex Product(s)" is used as shorthand for our online games including all Jagex websites used to play those games and products published by Jagex on behalf of third parties. The ongoing supply of any particular Jagex Product is not guaranteed.
"Personally Identifiable Information" is information that identifies you and can be used to contact or locate you in real life, such as your real full name, e-mail address, mobile telephone number, postal address or credit card information.
Please read this policy carefully. You must accept this policy in full in order to use our website or any Jagex Product (whether or not you are a subscriber). If you do not agree with this policy, or any part, please do not use our websites or any Jagex Products. Your using any of our websites or Jagex Products is treated as an acceptance of the version of this policy in effect at the time of your use.
We may change this policy at any time, and will post any changes made on the site. Please check it whenever you return to the site. We will treat your continued use of our websites as acceptance of these changes from their effective date as shown above.
No Personally Identifiable Information is collected when you merely access the public areas of our websites or when you play our single player games.
We collect and store information which you voluntarily provide via forms or otherwise on our websites, electronic or other communications with us. You may opt-out of providing any such information by simply choosing not to complete the form requesting the information, and hence choosing not to use that particular service.
- To use many of the features of Jagex Products you will need to open an account by choosing a username and password.
- To start a subscription for any Jagex Product you will need to provide contact information including: name, a valid email address, home address, and payment details (such as credit card number and expiry date). Some users may not be eligible to provide this information.
- To make use of our customer support service you will need to access the customer support section using your username and password and supply information relating to your query via the online form.
- To enable us to provide a better customer support service we may also ask you to provide contact information including: name, email address, postcode and country, and to provide a number of security questions which we can use to verify your identity if you require assistance in the future. (Note that the questions and the answers you provide are up to you. You may opt-out of providing some of this information but it will limit the availability or effectiveness of our support service if you do, or you may not be eligible for a particular support service.)
- We may give you the option of supplying a valid email address so we can contact you in the future with email newsletters about Jagex Products, including new game features and special offers.
Some users may not be eligible for certain elements detailed above, for example because there are restrictions on the collection of Personally Identifiable Information from those users.3. What other information is collected and stored?
For more information about Cookies, the information they collect and how to disable them, please visit our Cookies page.
We generate and store logs indicating usage of our websites such as activity in our games and public and private chat communications. This includes monitoring play patterns and anti-tamper checks which verify the correct internal operation of our software and are designed to spot abusive or inappropriate activities.
We may track your use of certain features and areas of our websites to help us improve them.
If our client software held on your computer fails, it sends an automatic error report to our server to help us fix it. This error report only includes information about the internal state of our own client software and which browser/java version it is running on. It does not include data from elsewhere on your system and so does not reveal Personally Identifiable Information to us.
We store 'save game' and 'game settings' information to enable us to provide a better games service in which your activities and achievements are remembered in the game, and we conduct polls to find better ways of serving the needs of our users.4. Information about you received from third parties
If you access Jagex's Products through an integrated and approved third party then you are allowing Jagex access to certain information from that third party. The information you allow Jagex to access may vary per Jagex Product and across different third party platforms and is affected by the privacy settings you have on your computer or internet device and the choices you make with that third party.
The information we collect may be used:
- To process your payment for membership subscriptions or other goods or services ordered on our site or to fulfil such orders.
- To provide our customer support service, and to verify any claims or requests you make if you use our customer support service.
- To enforce our terms and conditions, and prevent or detect hacking activities, security breaches or safety risks in connection with our websites.
- To send service announcements and messages (for example, a reminder sent to the members' Message Centre if a subscription payment is due or if member credit has expired).
- To aggregate information to generate anonymous statistics regarding use of our websites. We may share this anonymous information with our partners and advertisers. This is not linked to any Personally Identifiable Information.
- For our own internal marketing and demographic studies and to help us improve our websites or to show you adverts on our site which are relevant to your demographic profile.
- In the event of an actual or proposed (including as part of negotiations for any) merger, or business combination or sale of substantially all of our assets or a business operation to which such information relates, or as provided under bankruptcy or applicable insolvency laws or by the enforcement of equitable rights.
- To disclose information to the extent required by law, court order, as requested by other government, regulatory or law enforcement authority, to protect or assist in protecting our users, systems or the public, or to otherwise enforce legal rights as determined in our sole and absolute discretion.
- If you have agreed on our websites, to send you email newsletters about our games, including new game features and special offers.
We care about protecting your privacy, and with the exception of the uses specified above or where you explicitly consent, we will not sell, transfer, rent out, share or disclose your Personally Identifiable Information to other companies.6. Passing your personal information to third parties
We may supply your Personally Identifiable Information to external third parties who provide a service to us (such as fulfilment of orders placed for Jagex Product merchandise or to assist us in the supply of customer support) and purely for the purpose of that service.
We partner with a number of external payment service provider companies to enable you to make payment via a wide range of payment options. We share your billing information with such companies insofar as is necessary for the processing of your payment or to prevent or detect fraud. These companies have agreed not to retain, share, store or use your Personally Identifiable Information which we pass to them for any secondary purposes.
You should be aware that the data protection laws of other countries may not be the same as the data protection laws of your country of residence. By submitting your personal information to Jagex, you agree to the transfer, storage and processing of your personal information as described in this section.
We use external companies to provide and serve advertisements or other technologies on our websites (eg to collect website statistics or to enable sharing of buttons or widgets). These companies may use information (not including Personally Identifiable Information) about your visits to this and other websites in order to personalize advertisements on this site or other sites and/or to personalize certain features on our site and/or to provide anonymised aggregated statistics concerning use of our site or use of certain features on our site which are shared with other sites (eg buttons or widgets linking to our site). We do not have access to or control over cookies or other technologies that these third parties may use and the information practices of these advertisers and technology companies are not covered by this policy. If you would like more information about some of these practices and to know your choices about preventing this information being used by certain of these companies, please click here.
Furthermore, information collected from our users by third parties providing goods or services (including advertisements) at or via our websites may be shared by those third parties with us and stored by us for the purposes stated in this policy.
Be very careful before making or posting any communications on our websites. Certain information is visible to other players of the game including: public and private chat communications, the appearance of your characters and your experience points. Players who include you on their friends list can see which in-game world you are playing on. We may share Game Data with third parties, such as survey and data analysis companies, to help improve the products and services we offer to our players and improve the player experience. "Game Data" includes, but is not limited to, communications posted on Jagex Products and player communications. Game Data may contain Personally Identifiable Information.
If you have agreed on our websites, we may provide your email address to our business partners so that they can send you emails with details of goods or services which may be of interest to you including information about special offers or promotions.7. Safeguarding your Personally Identifiable Information
We will only collect Personally Identifiable Information to the extent we believe it reasonably necessary to serve our legitimate business purposes, and will protect it using the same level of safeguards we use to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of our own equivalent proprietary information. In addition, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that third parties to whom we transfer any Personally Identifiable Information in accordance with this policy will agree to provide sufficient protection.
Note that while we strive to protect all our Personally Identifiable Information, we have all heard of data breaches in well-respected financial and governmental institutions and we cannot ever fully guarantee that such breaches will not happen. We will inform you of any material data breaches that we discover that may compromise your Personally Identifiable Information.8. Jagex’s privacy practices in relation to children
We do not knowingly collect or store any Personally Identifiable Information from children under 13. If a Jagex Product allows under 13s to create an account, Jagex will only collect information than is reasonably necessary for participation in the Jagex Product, such as a user-name, password and a parent or guardian's email address.
If we become aware that we hold or have inadvertently disclosed any Personally Identifiable Information for any player aged under 13 (other than an irreversible hash of an email address username in a non-retrievable form), it will be deleted from our system to ensure the protection of the child's privacy.
Jagex will not require a user under 13 to provide Personally Identifiable Information in order to use Jagex forums or messaging features within Jagex Products. In addition, we enable users of Jagex Products to chat online through our products, but we take measures so that users under 13 cannot communicate personal information through this chat function. These measures include filters and post-submission moderation. Nonetheless, if you use the chat function within a Jagex Product and disclose Personally Identifiable Information, you should be aware that such information could be read, collected or used by other users. We strongly encourage you not to disclose Personally Identifiable Information (such as real name, email address, telephone number, etc.) about you or about any third party. Jagex is not responsible for the use of Personally Identifiable Information you choose to submit through Jagex Products.
If a Jagex Product asks you for your email address as your username and you are under 13, we will not store the email address. Instead the email address will automatically create an encrypted record on our system (known as a hash), which cannot be used by us to re-create the email address. Next time you login, you will be asked for your email address as your username. This will then automatically create a new hash which will then be compared against our existing records in order to allow you to log you in. We will not store your email address in any form that can be used to contact you, although you may be asked to provide your parent's email address.
On top of what we state above, we also have a number of provisions regarding the Personally Identifiable Information of children. These are that a parent/guardian has the right to review the information the site has collected from their child, have their child's Personally Identifiable Information deleted from the site and also request us to stop collecting further Personally Identifiable Information from their child in the future. This can be done through either faxing or posting us an affidavit, along with a copy of your passport or driving license, to the fax number or address below:
- UK: 0844 588 6690
- USA, Canada: 01144 844 588 6690
- Australia: 001144 844 588 6690
- Rest of the world: 0044 844 588 6690
St. John's Innovation Centre
Phone number: 0844 588 8880
The affidavit has to be signed by and in the presence of 'notary public'. This is someone who is qualified and has the legal authority, to administer oaths. Upon receipt of this, we will be able to action your request. Specifically, the affidavit must state:
- You are the custodial parent;
- Your e-mail address;
- Confirmation that your child is under the age of 18;
- The correct spelling of your child's username for the relevant Jagex Product;
- Whether you wish to have the right to review the information the site has collected from your child, have your child's Personally Identifiable Information deleted from the site and/or request us to stop collecting further Personally Identifiable Information from your child in the future.
If you are submitting an affidavit for a child that is under 13 years of age, then please do not include any of their Personally Identifiable Information. If you do include any Personally Identifiable Information of the child, your submission is your express consent for Jagex to receive and store the Personally Identifiable Information as reasonably necessary to fulfil your request.9. Review, correction and deletion of information from our records
If for data protection purposes you are concerned that the Personally Identifiable Information which we hold about you is not accurate, or should you wish to have your Personally Identifiable Information removed from our records, please see our Data Protection Policy below.10. Data Protection Policy
Jagex holds a range of Personally Identifiable Information which can include:
- Full name
- Postal address
- Email address
- Telephone number
Please note, it's entirely possible that we hold all, none or only some of the above information, depending on if you have ever entered this into our systems.
If, for data protection purposes, you are concerned that the above Personally Identifiable Information maintained by Jagex is not correct, or should you wish to have your Personally Identifiable Information removed from our records, please follow the steps below:a. Request in writing & provide your contact details
Please outline specifically your request. Your request should be one of the following:
- Access to personal information we maintain
- Modification of personal information we maintain
- Removal of personal information we maintain
Please also include full contact details for yourself. This should include your postal contact details and a telephone number, including international dialing codes.b. Proof of identity
We require proof of identity in the form of picture ID. This must be in one of the following forms:
- a photocopy of a passport; or
- a photocopy of a picture driving license.
The photocopied document must contain a clear picture of yourself and also your full name.c. Request fee
In order to carry out your data protection request, we require a fee of £10.00. This is to cover administration costs and is in line with the guidelines of the Data Protection Act. Please enclose a cheque for this amount in your written request payable to Jagex Ltd.
Please note: All of the above steps must be followed in order for us to issue, modify or remove personal information maintained by us. If all of the above steps have not been followed, we will not be able to take action on a data protection request.d. Where to send your request
Please send your data protection request, including full contact details, proof of identity and a cheque for the request fee to the following address:Jagex Ltd.
St. John's Innovation Centre
What will happen next?
Upon receiving your data protection request, we will review it accordingly and contact you within 30 days. Please do not attempt to contact us before 30 days, as this will not speed up the process.