Scamming Prevention Guide
We suggest that you read the following information to ensure that you do not fall victim to an account scammer.
Tips to avoid having your account stolen
This is probably the most common way players have their accounts stolen. Trojan/key loggers normally come in the form of an executable (.exe) file, but can take different forms and are normally cleverly renamed to try and hide the .exe extension. Often they are passed off as possible applications that claim to be related to RuneScape or FunOrb (cartoons, RuneScape calculators etc). They can be distributed as part of an email attachment, a download from a website or even an instant messenger file send.
These are sites that claim to offer advantages to players, and will ask for your character name and password in order to pass these advantages on to you. These are normally things like item/stat upgrades, free items, beta testing, moderator applications etc.
We do not offer any of these services and anything claiming to is ALWAYS a scam. You should NEVER enter your Jagex password into a website that is not www.runescape.com or www.funorb.com
We never send emails to players.
- We never send emails saying we need your password to check you aren't cheating!
- We never send emails saying we need your recovery-questions to check you didn't steal the account.
- We never send emails containing attachments of any sort.
- We never send emails saying we need your password to let you join the Jagex staff.
- We never send emails offering to let you test new features or servers.
It is true that Jagex staff do have moderator characters, but all Customer Support issues are dealt with officially through our Customer Support area, found in the Help section of the FunOrb website.
Staff will NEVER ask for your details in-game and never request that you give items to them. If someone does approach you claiming to be Jagex staff and asks for information that makes you suspicious, then it is certainly someone impersonating our staff. These characters should be reported using the in-game report system.
Downloading 3rd party software
Programs that claim to give you an advantage in RuneScape or our FunOrb games will either be one of two things:
- A macro program that will control your character for you while you are away from your computer. Our systems detect these and we permanently ban any accounts we find using them.
- A keylogger or a trojan virus.
Either way, your account and any information you have on your computer will be at risk and we suggest you NEVER download these types of programs, for your own safety.
For more detailed information on keeping your account secure, we have an in-depth Security Tips Guide that will be of use. This can be found in the Help section of the website, under 'Customer Support'.